1. Is it possible to identify someone, perhaps a patient, knowing just the gender, birth date, and zip code? Why or why not?
    1. Yes, it is possible. My search resulted in one person, me, with my birth date within my zip code.
  2. Are electronic documents like paper documents? Write 2-3 sentences comparing and contrasting them.
    1. Paper documents, as they used to be, like notes in your file at your doctor’s office, used to only be in one place. They were only shared with other doctors or offices with your permission to help with your medical care. Now those “paper” documents are no longer just paper, if they are paper at all at this point. Those documents are now electronic in most offices and are easily shared with other doctors or offices. Not only that, they are shared with the entire network that you are part of. So your medical information can be easily accessed by any physician, or other medical entities, that wish to look up your information. It most likely is available outside of the medical field as well to companies such as life-insurance providers.
  3. Earlier in the course, you built the Map Tour app. In the final version, what kind of data is collected from the user? Does the user know the data is being collected? Can they opt out of providing data and still use the app?
    1. It stores the locations in a tinyDB.
    2. The user may not necessarily be aware that the data is being stored.
    3. No, they cannot opt out of the data being saved.
  4. Is the Privacy Act effective? Explain why or why not.
    1. It is somewhat effective but there are too many ways around it. The seemingly restrictive use of information was used to create Homeland Security after 9-11.
  5. Are you willing to trade some of your privacy for the convenience of having a computer or a company recommend products to you? Why or why not? Under what circumstances?
    1. I don’t really like when companies recommend products to me. Nor do I like the idea that they are keeping track of my purchasing habits. I find those pop-up ads really annoying. I can’t think of any circumstances that I would purposely opt to allow them.
  6. How do we leave digital “footprints and fingerprints?” Do you think this is important for everyone to know? Why or why not?
    1. Every site you access and every vendor you purchase from keeps data on you and so does your computer. I think it is very important for everyone to be aware of this. If you access unreputable sites, it could be used against you in a job search for instance.
  7. How have social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. affected our privacy?
    1. There are some who put their entire lives on social media. Everything they do and everywhere they go is posted for all to see. I have a friend who posts all day long when they go on vacation. This opens them up to possible theft while they are away from home (which has occurred) and still they continue to do it. This I do not understand.
  8. In this course, you are building apps that collect data from users, the device, and its sensors. What responsibilities do we have as app developers for the data we collect?
    1. We have to be mindful and respectful of others private information. There is an assumed confidentiality agreement between the user and the creator of an app.
  9. Search the web for a recent news story that deals with privacy. Write a paragraph summarizing the article, including any beneficial or harmful impacts on privacy.
    1. Sarah Fader, Contributor & CEO of Stigma Fighters, “Are Online Psychologists Real People?”, HuffingtonPost.com, 11/14/2017.
    2. I don’t know if this article really speaks to the privacy issue, but I found it very interesting. What can be more private than pouring your heart out to a therapist. This article discusses the merits of the recent phenomenon of online therapy and portrays it as a very positive thing. People have the option of  “seeing” a therapist from the privacy of their own home. Is it as helpful as one-on-one consultations? Who are these therapists? Are the online sessions private and secure? What kind of records are kept? What can one do if the therapist is unreputable? These and many other questions come to mind as they pertain to privacy.