Privacy is a thing of the past. Everything is now stored on a computer somewhere and because of that is vulnerable.
The digital explosion has dramatically changed our world in a very short period of time.
In the medical field they are depending on digital records more and more. If a patient’s prior medical records have not been digitized, a large part of their history is now invisible/lost.
Our purchasing habits are kept track of digitally including medicines, food, clothing – everything.
Technology is neither inherently good or bad – it is only so in the hands of the user.
- What is a bit and what does it mean to say that “it’s all just bits”? (Koan 1) Give examples of two things today that are stored as bits.
- A bit is one piece of data that is either a 1 or a 0, 1 being on, 0 being off. All data on a computer, no matter what form it is such as text or images, is stored as a series of 1s and 0s which is the only thing a computer can understand.
- Two examples of things stored in bits is text and images.
- Describe Moore’s Law in your own words.
- That the number of transistors per inch on a circuit board will double every two years.
- Give an example of how the digital explosion is “neither good nor bad” but has both positive and negative implications.
- Use of the global positioning aspect of your phone can be used in a good way, such as finding you if you are on a hiking trail and are lost or hurt – help can find you.
- Use of the same global positioning aspect could let someone know that you are not home and make your dwelling vulnerable to theft.
- Find and summarize a news article that talks about the positive or negative impacts of a computing innovation. Is the technology itself positive or negative? Or have people used the technology in positive and/or negative ways?
- All you have to do is look at the statistics of car accidents involving someone texting or the number of pedestrians being hit crossing a street because they are paying attention to their phone and not where they are walking or even if a car is coming. More and more accidents of this kind are happening every day. It is not the fault of the technology, rather the fault of the people who are using it when they shouldn’t be. Car vs pedestrian accidents have never been this frequent and it doesn’t look like it will improve any time soon.