- (POGIL Activity 1) How does the geographical distance between the source and destination hosts on a network affect latency?
- Logically the longer the distance the higher the latency because the signal has to travel farther.
- What are the benefits of packet switching?
- Packet switching allows the data being sent to be more secure and less vulnerable because if one router is hit offline there is another that can be accessed. Also it takes more pressure off the more routers there are.
- (POGIL Activity 2) Missing Packets. What should happen if a packet goes missing? Who (which layer) would handle this? What action would they have to take? And what additional information would be needed in the packet in order to handle it?
- If a packet is missing it will have to be resent. This becomes the job of the link layer to resend the packet. It would have to return to the source to get another copy of the packet. It would also need the identifying info.
- (POGIL Activity 2) Security/Privacy. As the packets are being transmitted through the network, can people other than the sender and receiver read the messages? What methods can we use to protect the message?
- People with the right know how can receive the message thats why data encryption is so important.
December 1, 2017