REFLECTION QUESTIONS:

1. Is it possible to identify someone, perhaps a patient, knowing just the gender, birth date, and zip code? Why or why not?
    It is likely that you can. Because odds are there is only one person that is the same age and birth day that lives in your zip code. But it is possible that you would only have a couple options.
  2. Are electronic documents like paper documents? Write 2-3 sentences comparing and contrasting them.
    They are unlike paper documents in that they can never be erased. They are like paper documents in that people who keep paper trails will have an even easier time doing so with digital documents.
  3. Earlier in the course, you built the Map Tour app. In the final version, what kind of data is collected from the user? Does the user know the data is being collected? Can they opt out of providing data and still use the app?
    The app knows where you are, and where you are going. I knows what path you took and if you stopped anywhere on the way. They don’t know that the data is being collected, and they cannot opt out because the app needs to know where you are in order to work.
  4. Is the Privacy Act effective? Explain why or why not.
    It’s obviously ineffective because there is basically zero privacy in this day and age. So much data is being collected and it seems like the average person is powerless to the whole process
  5. Are you willing to trade some of your privacy for the convenience of having a computer or a company recommend products to you? Why or why not? Under what circumstances?
    I feel like it’s inevitable to give up some of my privacy for convenience. I would be unable to use Amazon or NBA.com. There are so many little things that would be taken away from me. With that being said, if random apps ask for my location that don’t need to know, I always say no. Also, I never post on Facebook, Twitter, or Intagram.
  6. How do we leave digital “footprints and fingerprints?” Do you think this is important for everyone to know? Why or why not?
    We leave footprints by sending emails and visiting sites. But we leave fingerprints through posting pictures, liking stuff, using geotags, etc. I think everyone should know because their privacy should be their prerogative.
  7. How have social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. affected our privacy?
    Everyone knows where we are based on the posts we decide to publish. The companies themselves also can see everything we are doing and all the pages we access, aka collecting our fingerprints.
  8. In this course, you are building apps that collect data from users, the device, and its sensors. What responsibilities do we have as app developers for the data we collect?
    We should let them know we are collecting data or not give the data to anyone or use it for any purpose.
  9. Search the web for a recent news story that deals with privacy. Write a paragraph summarizing the article, including any beneficial or harmful impacts on privacy.
    This article describes the largest 10 data breeches of all time. The largest was Yahoo, with 3 billion accounts. The names, email addresses, telephone numbers, and birthdays were all released for 500 million users in 2014. This shows how fragile our storage system currently is. Any hacker can mess with our information and either use it to their advantage or give it to the whole world.

https://www.csoonline.com/article/2130877/data-breach/the-16-biggest-data-breaches-of-the-21st-century.html